Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Should I Care If The Straits Times Index Goes Under 3,000?

What a difference two weeks can make, you may ask.

 Two weeks ago, I bought 1 lot of Nikko AM STI ETF at $3.30. Since then STI ETF has been in a downward spiral. What is the price today? $3.09!

Okay, this may seem counter-intuitive to you, but does it matter to me now that it has dropped $0.21 (Omg! A loss!) in two weeks? Not at all! In fact, I hope that it will FALL even more.

Let's imagine I'm going shopping for something basic like groceries at Cold Storage supermarket. Assume I'm a Coca-Cola addict and drink it on a daily basis. Okay, I know it is not healthy but that's not the point here.

Do I like it when the price of my favourite Coca-Cola goes up? Nope. I want it to fall! Since I'm a Coca-Cola addict, I'm going to buy Coca-Cola regardless of the price increases (or decreases). Obviously, I would want the price to drop so that I will pay less for my daily fix of Coca-Cola. Makes sense?

Now, let's apply the same logic to STI ETF. Assume I'm a very disciplined investor in STI ETF and make a purchase every month, regardless of the price. Logically, I would want the price to be as low as possible when I'm stocking up on STI ETF so that I can buy it at a "discount".

The price only matters to me when I'm selling STI ETF - simple as that.Once you get used to this concept, you will find that price fluctuations is nothing more than mere distractions.

Meanwhile, I can look forward to Nikko AM STI ETF bi-annual dividends in October. Assuming I have 1,200 units by the expiry date, I can potentially pocket S$42 based on last year's dividend of $0.035.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment